The Gatsby Life

There is conviction, irritation, anger and fiery passion against The Great Gatsby movie and all brought on because the historic pages of a book win over the emotions expressed by actors. The protesters against the film fight and turn up their noses in disgust and I don't think it's because the movie is so vastly different from the book; but I think it's rather because the movie is so unlike each individuals imagination. Perhaps they thought the love between Jay and Daisy would be stronger, more passionate, dripping in lust. Perhaps they thought it was too 'over-played'. Perhaps the movie just didn't give them the exact same emotion they received when they first read the book?

I can't answer this because I never read The Great Gatsby. 
I never read this book because when people spoke of it, they made it sound dull and long-winded. In fact, if a movie was never created, I'm very sure that myself and the younger generation would have let this legendary story become just that: Legend. Perhaps all those opposed to the movie, should reconsider the effect this movie has had on many 'younger' folk.

I'm a sucker for love stories. No, let me rephrase that; I'm a sucker for tragic love stories. 

I've grown up watching the fairytale endings where they all live happily ever after and though that ending makes me feel all giddy inside, it really is nothing compared to the tragic kind of love. Whilst growing up, I have grown from being content with happy endings to realizing that, in this world, happily-ever-after's are not a common thing. Happily-ever-after only happens in one couples lifetime, once in your lifetime.
Call me twisted, mental or sick-in-the-head but you can only see the truth and amount of love that, that one person holds for another when they know the person of their heart is about to be taken away from them. 
What happens when you have your happily ever after? Arguments begin, irritation grows, commanding behaviors are amplified and sometimes this results in murder, beatings and more commonly, divorces.

I sound like the worst kind of pessimist, but I promise I'm not that bad. 

Again, I never read The Great Gatsby but thanks to the movie, I found another tragic love story to add to my collection and with this, I have found some meaningful quotes which I would like to share with you. 


  • "The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly."
  • "You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that happened to me."
  • "I was within and without. Simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life."
  • "All I kept thinking about, over and over, was 'You can't live forever; you can't live forever."


  • "His heart beat faster and faster and Dairy's white face came up to his own. He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. As his lips' touch she blossomed like a flower and the incarnation was complete."


  • "I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • "She was feeling the pressure of the world outside and she wanted to see him and feel his presence beside her and be reassured that she was doing the right thing after all."
  • "'Look at that,' she whispered, and then after a moment: 'I'd like to just get one of those pink clouds and put you in it and push you around.'"
  • "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful fool."




Comments

Popular Posts