The Broken Shade of Blue

[The Challenge: Write down what a character holding a blue object is thinking.]

"I never thought it would feel like this. Soft, slimy - I never thought it would be this fragile." 

I spread my fingers apart just a little and it sinks through them without question.

"It's so cold, so lifeless. How was I ever so disillusioned to have thought it would have been warmer and more solid, more real, more... alive? And the colour! I never thought it would be this shade, a faded sickly blue that shimmers between transparent and almost-solid. I always thought it would be a brighter colour, a shade of soft pink with a touch of electric purple or even vibrant emerald green - never this sickly blue. Why can't it be an energetic blue? Navy blue would even do."


I turn it around slowly while I inspect it.

"Wait. What's this? Why are there patches of dirty purple on it? Why does my sick blue have dirty purple patches on it? Oh lordy... it's bruised too. Not just a slimy, cold, dead texture and a broken shade of blue but now it's been bruised too. Who did this? Did I do this? Can I fix it? Yes! Maybe I can fix it but I wouldn't even know where to start. Should I keep it secret and hidden away from the people I know who keep bruising it? Would that include me? How do you keep it secret from yourself if you're the one keeping the secret? This makes no sense. I really didn't think it would be like this. Is everyone's? Yes, maybe if I believe that everyone's looks like this perhaps I can trick myself into believing it will be okay. Surely they all can't be well looked after and vibrant. I refuse to believe that I'm the only one who has a Soul a broken shade of blue."


I hand my Soul back to it's Keeper. 

"I will protect my soul from now on and perhaps when I look at it again - it won't be a broken shade of blue, perhaps it will be the kind of blue that would confuse people into thinking it's a blue diamond instead. Yes. I'm going to make sure those bruises fade away and never rejoin my shade of blue again; I'm going to make sure that the broken shade of blue my Soul has become will be a vibrant blue diamond instead. Anything is possible!"

Comments

Popular Posts