The Whisper



[The Challenge: Name the trees that stood in the neighborhood where you grew up.]

I remember when I was a child, I would play in the garden for hours talking to the creations of my mind. I could remain there for hours doing things that adulthood would make difficult to stay focused on. 

It was on one of these magical days where my imagination was wired and I felt like the princess of an extravagant castle (mostly because my parents had gone out and had left me with my grandfather to babysit) left to explore my grounds, where I ducked beneath the leaves of an old willow tree we had in our front yard, I sat at the base and did what I’m not so sure many children do these days.

I was still.


I soaked in the electric green of the leaves from beneath this tree, the dark muddy brown of the sand, the texture of the bark as it showed age and the pitch of deep blue as it painted across the sky. I must have sat there for ages just soaking in the world, loving the moment and getting stuck within time. Nothing else mattered to me more than just being one with Earth. It was then that the wind picked up and I asked it how far my parents were from coming home. I waited for a response, excitement building up inside of me and hope began to rev my young heart.


“They're near.”

What! Did I really hear it? NO!
Even though I was only a child there was a small part of my heart that was beginning to age. I did and I got no reply…
…except the front gate was opening and my parents had arrived home. 

Did taking in the moment to be one with the Earth help me to connect to the energy that created me? Did the magic inside my heart shout out to say ‘Thank You for believing’? I don’t know – but I know it made me feel on top of the world to know that for that one moment, my imagination wasn’t just chained to the cage within my mind.

For one moment, I felt living in being alive.
 

Comments

Popular Posts