The Long Lost Roomate

There she stood, tall, proud, confident and absolutely frightening. And there I stood, dressed in my unfancy "adult" clothing behind the reception desk at the first company I'd ever really worked at.

Her name is D and she was probably the most daunting person I'd ever met, but boy was she intoxicating. Loud, fearless, welcoming and yet she carried an air about her that cried out for you to obey.

The fourth day of seeing D she whisked me away into a whirlwind of dreams and possibilities by planting the seed in my mind to move in together. She was moving to South Africa and as I was her friend, her only friend, and she was adament that she wanted to move in with me and that it would be amazing.

I'm still not sure today if it was out of fear of saying 'No' to her or if she sold the idea of 'freedom' so well to me, that I agreed.

We signed a contract for a year and I lived with her for two months.

The first month was a web linned with an 8 hour sales job, no eating, drinking constantly and partying every chance we got. I think on average in a week I slept maybe 6 hours in total IF I was lucky. It was a world based upon any rock stars life, she brought a different man home with her as often as three times a week and lived without a care in the world.

It was on one night when we went out to one of the local pubs for the big England vs. South Africa soccer match that she turned to me amusingly and whispered, "I've found your future husband!" and BAAM, so began my life of a couple-hood. The second month I was never at the flat, I stopped staying there when it got to the point of her locking me in the room so I wouldn't go out without her. She would call me, text me, drive to friends houses looking for me nearly every hour of the days that followed.

Eventually after not staying at the house with her for a month and spacing myself enough for her to find another 'Nikita' to 'train', I told her I was leaving... and I did.

We never spoke to each other, nor did we see each other after that day again, but I do think about her often and wonder how she is doing.

Comments

Popular Posts