Something you had that was stolen


I remember it clearly, the first time someone had stolen from me. I remember it clearly because it was my then best friend, and when I think back on this Primary School event, I shudder with embarrassment as to how trivial it all was.

The year Coca-Cola made yoyo’s – they would teach you the tricks on TV and you’d go to school showing off how cool you were, after an entire night of practicing how to ‘walk the dog’ or ‘rock the baby’.

This one particular day, my best friend decided she wanted to swap yoyo’s and little, naïve me at the time never understood why – especially considering they were exactly the same – but without hesitating or any questions asked, we swapped.

Low and behold the desperation in my voice and the anger blended with sadness in my eyes when best friend wouldn’t trade back, claiming in her steady, full voice that we had not swapped and that I was lying. Why would she do this? Because her stupid Coca-Cola yoyo was broken and not taking any dog for any walk.

That was the first time I ever lost something.

I'm sure all you 80's babies remember these?




Comments

  1. 0_o My coca-cola yoyo was also stolen, by a cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone else played with these - I was worried when I uploaded this that no one would remember these...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts