Devon Valley Run 2011



Living in Cape Town, you would expect me to hear about this event sooner rather than later, but as they say

Better Late Than Never.

Have you ever heard of the Devon Valley Run? Yes? No? Perhaps someone mentioned it at some point when you were only paying half attention ‘cause you were too busy focusing on the glass of wine in front of you? 
Well. My answer is a straight out No, I haven’t heard of it and to help conceal the confused expressions and embarrassment that some overly-proud and oh-so knowledgeable Capetonians may be experiencing right now, I’ll let you know what this event is really all about.
The Devon Valley Run takes place on the 05 November 2011 and begins on the outskirts of Stellenbosch, it s a 15km ‘race’ – I can hear  the readers who’ve grown an extra blanket through this Winter saying, “You’re crazy, I’m not fit enough to run a 15km race!”, but relax, the race isn’t about winning (unless you fall into that category where you have to win at everything *Shame*) , it’s about enjoying the moment and the outing and if you have to speed walk to the end – you’ll still get yourself a fat high five!
Breakfast bites and other snacks will be on sale at the various stops - please pack some extra cash for these refreshments. All wine tastings are included in your main entry fee. Non alcoholic beverages are available for the non-drinker, designated drivers or our young participants.
This race combines running, enjoying the fruit of the vine and yes, fancy dress – it’s a perfect chance for all you talented creatures lurking in the fashion stores of Cape Town to show off your creative skills.
The debut run in 2003 attracted an amazing 1, 650 entrants to its seven wine cellars. With over 11 wineries, the esteemed Devon Valley Hotel, House of JC Le Roux, restaurants and businesses on the route participating this year, the run is set to break some records.
I’m planning to attend the Devon Valley Run for 2011 because if you think about it, there’s no better way to kick off the 05 November 2011 than with a spurt of energy, a goblet filled with wine, laughter with friends and a dress up – the 05 November is nothing to be forgotten:
Remember, remember the 5th of November.
So, why not enter this event with me and later that night you can kick your feet up, wherever you’ve already planned to go and watch the firework display for Guy Fawkes Day – a perfect end to a perfect day.
If you want to join me in taking part in this race, then feel free to leave a comment in the box below of any dress up ideas you’d like to try out for the race - I think it will be brilliant if we could all dress to look the same.

In the previous races the dress up’s they had were:
  •      Cowboys/girls
  •      Brides
  •       Hippies
  •       Crazy Wigs and even Vampires.


REMEMBER that you can bring a picnic basket and blankets along for the end of the race if you want to chill with myself and any other friends you may have met online.
To find out more about the event & prices click HERE 

THE ROUTE

The run winds through the wine estates, following along a scenic vineyard route. The race will start at the back of the Slow Food Market, at Oude Libertas (Disterllery Road) and finish line at Bosman's Crossing where Street Fair, wine sales, food stalls will be available from 14h00 - 17h00. At each estate or venue along the route, there are 'watering holes' where competitors have to stop for a mandatory drink and fun activity. Refreshment stops offering the different estate's finest wines and something to nibble will be en route. No worries - water points will also be available.



THE DAY AFTER

Driving to the run, I had wondered on more than one occasion if I'd over-dressed for the event, but with not being able to change, I put my foot down on the  pedal and landed slap bang in what looked like a festival. There were cars over-flowing from every direction and people everywhere! Over-dressed I had thought, well, I had nothing to worry about.


Getting out my car, I was surrounded by people in brightly colored wigs and old fashioned dresses, an entire rugby team, pirates, female fairies, male fairies (that may have scarred me for life), many versions of Santa Clause, superheroes and so much more. My eyes got lost in a blurr of outrageous colour and my imagination came out to play - I was happy; I'd finally hit Crazy Town.


Being one of the first of my team to arrive at the event I followed a cow towards the registration line and pulled up behind tall, blonde Barbie Dolls and soaked in the weirdness. I couldn't believe how many people had dressed up to the max, leaving me with ideas for my costume for the next Devon Valley Event, because one thing was for sure - I wasn't going to dress down next time.


Just as I was about to reach the front of the cue, the rest of my team walked in and boy, did they look as lost in the commotion as I must have looked on my arrival. Once they had seen me and squished into the line, I got to meet my team and grabbed my SUPER CAPETOWNERS cape. Finally, my power suit was complete. 


Walking away from the line and joining the rest of the herd, my superhero type was obvious; with TWO capes, TWO entry bands and TWO wine tasting cups, I had donned a split personality which I felt I had to live up to.


The line at registration
Looking to the right of the line at registration


Me, as a superhero - Captain Double-Team
My team (Capetowners)
Clyde - the leader of the pack




 Following the rest of the crazies to the start line, we began our journey. Some people were extremelly serious about taking the lead and as soon as we set off, they began running at a furious pace. Thankfully, I had made friends with Roxy and Marc at this point which meant I was with people who were just as unfit as me. Chatting away and feeling the excitement pouring through me, we soon reached our first wine stop - Middlevlei - and felt like movie stars with a group of children cheering us on with home-made flags, this encouraged me because my first thought was:


 "If these kids are put here to cheer us on so early in the game, it can only mean some people have already turned back"


It was an encouraging thought!


Piling up to join the crowd that was eager for their first taste of promised wine, I soon reached the front and got asked "Red or White?" - well, what would you have done if you were me dressed up for two? Damn straight I did! I had one of each and skipped the bread. 


Walking into Middlevlei's winery


Children cheering us on
Piling up for the first wine stop


We hadn't even finished our first cups of tasting and we had already set out for the next farm. Zig-zagging through the vineyards (because we took the back route to all the farms) we landed up at our next stop - Clos Malverne - and found everyone piled on the floor resting and stuffing their faces with an amazing french loaf sandwich. 


As it had begun to rain and this walk was a bit further than the first stop, we sat under some trees with our wine and a ham, mushroom, cheese and tomato french loaf happily munching away.


Close Malverne
Left to Right: Mark, Roxy, Clyde




Wine and food cue


After a very long pit stop and realizing we were one of the last people to leave, we decided it was time to get one... ok, ok, two more cups of wine and away we went. The next stop took forever - either that or we were getting tired, but my determination was stronger than ever because I knew we were two wine stops away from J. C.Le.Roux - my goal stop!


Making our way through a back road and heading towards a farm, we were directed through a wine cellar and hit Louisvale wine estate. Unfortunately this wine estate dropped to the bottom of my list, as both the red and the white wine had a very strong, bitter taste. It was unfortunate for me to miss a wine tasting, but lucky for Clyde who happily took the bitter wine out of my...cups.


All the ballons... yes, that's someone's costume


Captain Morgan ain't got nothing on me


Finally, after feeling the wine kick in, we happily made our way to J.C. Le Roux. When I say this to everyone, they immediately agree with me, but J.C. really does have thee best tasting stands. Before we even arrived at the stall, we could hear party beats beckoning us to quicken our steps (which we did without hesitation) and we were confronted with a DJ, tasting stands and even an outdoor lounge area for the wary traveler. It was amazing!


After almost walking away with just a few cups of champagne to get that happy feeling floating, we heard someone say Buy your bottle of J.C. for only R48!


I stopped dead in my tracks, turned around and skipped through the welcoming sliding doors. Two bottles of J. C. Le Roux and two mini bubble bottles for the road (couldn't get too much because we still had to carry this back to the finish line with us) we continued with the walk. 


Clyde and myself had opened our mini champagne and began indulging in the bubbles - everything was going smoothly - until I was faced with the mother of all killer hills. 
Three pit stops later, Clyde dragging me up and nearly losing my bubbly, we had made it! 
Mwahaha, success!


A very, VERY happy Clyde


Inside of J.C.Le Roux


Bubbles for sale


Another food stall




All in all, the Devon Valley Walk was amazing! When I got to my last 4km, I was ready to call a shuttle but knew that my goal for the race was to prove all those suckers who didn't come with me, that I could make it to the end. 


25 minutes to the finish line, my legs had become so sore I couldn't feel them anymore, but survival took over and I turned into a robot. When I got to the end of the race and that lady put a medal over my head - I felt a surge of adrenaline and accomplishment that I never thought possible from someone so tired. I had done it!


It was one of thee best experiences of my life and one I'm sure I'm going to torture myself with again. Cape Towners - thank you - it was through you guys that I got to experience this and through the chats, laughter, wrong tracks and almost falls that made the journey through wine cellar to wine cellar that much more memorable. 


To everyone who did not join, you missed out on one hell of an experience - but, don't let your laziness get you down - there is always next year!


*Pictures supplied by Cape Towners*


On the way to J.C.Le Roux


Clearly you can tell we are having a great time!


We're superheroes!... with a drinking problem


Taking a break with some mini-champagne


Da-da-da-daaa!


Onward James!


Just keep walking, walking, walking...


The photographer!



Do yourselves a favor and follow Cape Towners today:


Twitter
Facebook
Website


Comments

  1. Yes! Glad you got it working! I was going to say, a race that has a theme is an awesome idea - plus, the PERFECT opportunity for a flashmob ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Well then, I think it would be a great time for you to attend this run, walk, wobble and arrange a FM :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, Flashmob it is! Keep me informed peeps!

    Nicely done Miss TheFirstChild! just please fix the width of the map, it's freaking me out that I cant fix it!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The map is so tiny now :( But it has been changed.

    We still have until the 02 November so Nick, maybe you can come up with some brilliant FM ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. but they can click on it to make it bigger :)

    Cant wait for this!!! See you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have said this better myself...so we're going to steal your article and publish it as ours instead :P

    lol, kidding...but we're still going to link to your awesome schizo-blog! :D

    Thanks for the legend company and we look forward to seeing you, along with the flashmob, next year!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts